When I first started Steel Mace Training the coaches and influencers I looked up to were mostly men. It wasn’t till I started to dig deeper that I realized I wasn’t the only woman picking up a Steel Mace. Through my searches online and my Steel Mace Warrior Podcast I started to find some amazing women exercising with this ancient tool I had just found. Once the conversations and passion for Steel Mace ignited within me, I began to realize that I wanted to introduce Steel Mace Training and these women that influenced me to as many other women as possible. Flash forward, here I am, still trying my best to do that and if you are reading this! I am happy you are here and picking up a steel mace for your health and wellness.
Now, this blog article was written for women that want to pick up a steel mace after pregnancy. I know you want to get back to moving and I am here to tell you you can totally do that! Many women think that you must stop movement altogether or think that exercise is not in the picture after having a child – I am here to tell you that you can still move without any dangers. You’re allowed to start exercising again after having a baby. Of course, always talk to your physician, OB-GYN or Physiotherapist before beginning any program or if you have any concerns.
So now that we know you can exercise without danger we can talk Steel Mace. Here are a couple of tips on how to steel mace after pregnancy:
FIRST 6 WEEKS
- Use the first 6 weeks for a complete recovery. If you really want to start practicing you can purchase a wooden mace during this period. Just be gentle! Then once you are feeling ready you can get started with a 7lb or 10lb steel mace after 6 weeks or when you are feeling ready.
AFTER 6 WEEKS AND CLEARED BY PHYSICIAN
- Try to avoid intense steel mace exercises and classes that include plyometrics, anything where you are jumping or giving yourself excessive amounts of stress.
- If you have or have signs of Diastasic Recti try to avoid using certain ab exercises with the steel mace like a crunch/sit-up, rows and planks.
- If you have a C-section, it will take a while to heal and everyone heals differently. During this healing you may feel stiffness and some other changes going on.
Your focus should be on self-love, healing and regaining your strength little by little over the next several months. And you should always keep in touch with the professionals (mentioned above).
A few more things to add onto your Steel Mace Training are pelvic floor exercises and transversus abdominis exercises. These will help you get back to where you were before pregnancy or help with getting you where you want to be. Having some focus on these additional exercises will also allow you to feel more connected with your steel mace movements.
I also know that all women are different and here are more pointers that I think will help you during your training:
- You know your body the best, if something doesn’t feel right to you, it’s okay to stop.
- If you feel any mild pain during a Steel Mace exercise talk to your trainer and they will most likely supply you with a regression or alternative. If it continues to feel painful talk to your doctor.
- Know that everyone heals differently and don’t give up movement if something feels a little off. Instead learn to listen to your body and adjust as you continue to heal. Movement is medicine, just take it day by day. Little steps at a time.
- Try to avoid over-exercising, this can backfire on you. Instead, learn to adjust your steel mace training intensity, have a good recovery day in your routine and work on your nutrition.
Best Postpartum Exercises without the Steel Mace
- Core & Floor Connection Breath (click here to view demo)
- Half Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch with OH Reach (click here to view demo)
- Squat (click here to view demo)
Best Postpartum Exercises with the Steel Mace
Well, I am here to tell you that if you are training with a 7-10lb steel mace you are good to try almost any individual Steel Mace exercise after 6 weeks (while keeping in mind what was said above). If you aren’t sure about how to get started or if you aren’t sure if you are doing something right, hire a steel mace coach that can help! You don’t have to go at it alone.
5 Rounds of:
- 10/10 SM Even Presses (click here to view demo)
- 10/10 SM Lap Squats (click here to view demo)
- 10 SM Ballistic Curls (click here to view demo)
- 10/10 SM Lap Squats
Overall, I wish you the best in your recovery and healing! And as a coach I know that the Steel Mace will get you closer to where you want to be with your mind, body and spirit as a woman, as a beautiful mom. Remember to be gentle on yourself the first few weeks and to kick ass thereafter. Don’t fear! You are in no danger, take it day by day and whatever you are looking for will come to you.