The struggle is real with the 360 Swing and tips on how to improve it
Posted on 2/17/2018
Article By | Victoria Islas
Certified Steel Mace Coach / Personal Trainer
I am finally moving up my steel mace routine to the exercise called “360 swing”. Let me tell you it is not easy when your body and mind has been conditioned to fear. In case this is the first time reading one of my articles, I was diagnosed with costochondritis a few months ago which affected my training overall. I have had days where I would rest more than a day to recover from a flare up in my collar bone and rib cage area. Recently, I have been integrating more steel mace, yoga, qi qong, walking/jogging and mobility and even using a massage ball by set for set to loosen the collagen build up between my rib cage and spine that can possibly be the trigger to this temporary condition that ultimately I have faith will go away with my personalized training and of course with healing time.
What are the benefits of the steel mace 360 swing?
- Improves overall health and fitness performance
- Build upper body and core strength
- Improves grip strength
- Improves shoulder mobility
- Makes you a warrior!
Safe tips on how to do the steel mace 360 swing exercise
So without holding back, I wanted to share with you some tips that I have learned from several expert sources on how to start working on your 360 swing SAFELY without injury. I wouldn’t share anything that seemed unsafe for you and don’t worry I always link back to the sources so you can gather visual knowledge as well.
TIP 1) First off don’t be a macho man or macha woman
Start light with the steel mace to get the technique down right. Don’t start heavy if you have no technique because then you are just going to learn a bad habit that will end up injuring you in the future. So please, put the 15 or 20 LB mace down and start with the lighter weight of 7 or 10 LB weight instead if you are a beginner with no prior training. Start with the foundations.
TIP 2) Practice these moves before trying to go straight into the 360
Even practicing these in order would be great!
- Spin around with your Steel Mace (test your balance)
- Practice Elbow Up Position
- Front Swings
- Kettlebell Halos (use a light weight)
- Halo with Steel Mace (no ballistics to it, full control)
- Pull Over
- Pendulum swing
- Back swing with a pull over
- Choked Up 360 (ballistic intro)
TIP 3) Stand tall, keep abs/ core tight and work on your posture at all times
By focusing on your core and posture while doing your 360 swings you will not only improve your swings but also see a major shift in your overall day to day posture.
Links to the sources I promised:
- How to 360 Swing with Joe Rogan & Joey Diaz (Outlier Strength) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRXEgXkpPZc
- Steel Mace Education 101 with Coach Vaughn – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UYSyKXGmk0
- Form at a glance: The Steel Mace 360 “Fall” –https://www.onnit.com/academy/form-at-a-glance-the-steel-mace-360-fall/
- 2 Steel Mace practice moves to master your 360 and 10 to 2 – https://www.setforset.com/blogs/news/2-steel-mace-360-and-10-to-2-practice-moves
May the universe flow with you always,